Arrival in Greece

Hey everyone! I'm reporting from Greece now. After a layover in Canada and a layover in Germany, I've finally arrived in Greece. The airline lost one of my bags. So are the woos of traveling. Luckily, two days later, the airport dropped it off so now I have all my clothes again. I checked in with my study program, College Year in Athens, and then headed to my apartment, which I share with five other girls. There are four bedrooms, a small kitchen, two bathrooms (one half and one full), and a small living room. It's nice. I'm living in Pangrati, an old Greek neighborhood only a five minute walk from the CYA Academic Center. The weather is lovely here. It's a little chilly since it is January (it's in the 50s probably) but it's sunny and with clear blue skies.

The strangest thing about living in Athens isn't the people but the trees. There are orange trees everywhere! They line the streets, planted into the sidewalks. No one eats the oranges because they're bitter. Even the birds don't touch them unless they're starving. Ha ha! There are quite a few stray dogs and cats around here too. The dogs follow people around, sometimes for blocks. Yesterday, I went on a neighborhood walk with a group of classmates and a professor and the same dog followed us for over and hour as we walked for blocks and blocks. I've also decided that no one can park like the Greeks. They park their cars, mopeds, and motorbikes anywhere there's space. It's really easy to walk into them.

That's all for now! I'll report back later with more Greek news soon! Remember, Greece is the word! :)

4 comments:

Amadea W. said...

I remember the dogs in Greece! The cats are everywhere also. How was your first day of classes? And picked up any modern Greek yet?

dr demarco said...

Erika,

I remember not getting my rucksack (with all my clothing in it) for over a week when I was studying in Germany at Konstanz Universitat. When it finally arrived, it had been allowed to sit out in the rain for a day or so. The German airline was fantastic though and cut me a lovely check for damages, which I used to splurge on books and Turkish donner.

Hope your adjustment goes smoothly, Erika!!

best,
drd

Raymond W. Rozman III said...

Dr DeMarco is right. Eat döner, it's FANTASTIC. Enjoy Athens, take lots of pictures (you'll want them later) and, if you can, bond with the natives, human, canine or otherwise.

Unknown said...

read here Hey there! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone! read more Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! read more here Keep up the outstanding work! read review